Tuesday 22 November 2011

Blogs

In just a few minutes spent 'googling' I have discovered that there are many different websites that can be used to construct blogs. I decided to use Blogger.com as it was recommended during this course.

I found that blogger.com was very simple to set up and navigate. After establishing a blog I continued to add my details and complete my profile. I also sifted through different designs and layouts that were available to use and alter as I pleased. There was an abundance of options to suit individual personalities and styles, therefore I found something I liked very quickly. After choosing a layout and background I continued to customise the layout, as far as to how narrow each column would be. Pleased with my accomplishments I began to write in my blog. The first entry simply stated that I was trying things out, which gave me the opportunity to see what each blog post would look like.

Constructing this blog was simple, and with a well scaffolded learning experience, children in primary school would be able to create one for themselves. The versatility of adding photos, videos and linking other sources to the blog enables the learner to gain a rich variety of e-learning experiences. Having the option to follow blogs also allows the learner to view the thoughts and learning styles of other students. Students have the opportunity to comment on each others blog posts. This can promote discussion about a particular topic or idea, and can allow the learner to develop a more in-depth understanding. This in turn creates an opportunity for critical reflection. Students can view others learning and thinking, then discuss further understandings before comparing it to their own to differentiate the differences and similarities between them. Using a blog as a scaffolded e-learning tool also creates the opportunity for higher order thinking. Providing students with this rich engagement tool will aid them to achieve the intended learning outcomes and beyond.


I have created a PMI chart below detailing the benefits and challenges of using a blog as a learning experience tool in the classroom.
 
Plus
Minus
Interesting
  • Simple to create
  • Simple to navigate 
  • Allows learners to display unedited personal perspectives 
  • Allows for collaboration using 'comments' tab
  • Allows for educator feedback using 'comments' tab
  • Stimulates higher order thinking
  •  Blogs are often blocked by schools which could make them difficult to access
  • Information could be perceived as factual but may be inaccurate
  •  Is visible to people all over the world
  • Allows for online collaboration between students
  • An engaging tool that can be used by learning managers for student evaluation and assessment

Image retrieved from: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Blogger.svg/256px-Blogger.svg.png

No comments:

Post a Comment