Tuesday 29 November 2011

Digital Video

I created a movie using iMovie to familiarise myself with a digital video ICT. I used my MacBook laptop when I created my movie, therefore I found it difficult to manoeuvre adding and removing elements to it. I overcame this obstacle with practice and shortly after I started, I had mastered it. Creating the movie was not as straight forward as I had hoped. The buttons in iMovie give little description of their abilities, therefore I needed try try a few different things before I achieved the result I required. I added images in the sequence I wanted, and found that it was quite simple to change the order later on. I also decided to add sound to my movie, which was fairly straight forward when I had discovered which button to use. Changing the slide transitions was an engaging part of this creation, as I was able to add, view and change them as I wanted. It was great to have the ability to use different transition frames for each slide. While investigating the transitions, I discovered I could change the times in which the frames changed. Each frame could change after a different duration. I found this to be a great idea, as there is often specific images that need to be displayed longer than others. To complete my movie, I added text to some of the images. I wanted to familiarise myself with as many elements of iMovie as possible and achieved this successfully.

I would definitely use iMovie in my classrooms as it is an engaging tool that allows for creativity. I found this a great learning tool. As I am a kinaesthetic learner, I found that investigating the functions and possibilities gave me the ability to create further. Although I believe this is an effective ICT, when using it the classroom a well-scaffolded learning experience would be required to build students knowledge of the program. It is not as simple to navigate as other ICTs as the functions are not clearly labeled. Therefore the upper primary school sector would be most appropriate, however a younger audience would benefit with the aid of buddies in an older year level.

My iMovie is available to view below.




The image below demonstrates an overview of the possible learning outcomes when using digital video within a scaffolded learning experience. This was retrieved from the article Designing Digital Video for Learning and Assessment.


Image retrieved from: http://www.stilltruth.com/sites/stilltruth.com/files/images/imovie.png

Designing Digital Video for Learning and Assessment Retrieved from http://aaalab.stanford.edu/papers/Designed_Video_for_Learning.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment